Saturday, August 13, 2016

Ramble on...





Leaves are falling all around, It's time I was on my way. 
Thanks to you, I'm much obliged for such a pleasant stay. 
But now it's time for me to go. The autumn moon lights my way. 
For now I smell the rain, and with it the pain, and it's headed my way. 
Sometimes I grow so tired, but I know I've got one thing I got to do...
Led Zeppelin- Ramble on



 We have arrived! It was a long time coming and something we as a family have wanted to do for a long time. Finally living overseas still seems like an idea of sorts. We are here in Kuala Lumper (referred to as KL from here on out) and it all seems a little surreal still. All the new things we experience on a daily basis can leave your head spinning sometimes. We have moved before, but the amazing experience of living in a foreign country just doesn't compare to any other move. You also learn to get over yourself really quickly in a new country. I think I embarrass myself on a daily basis in one way or another. Most everyone speaks English here, but there are still accents to try to understand and customs to learn. I've found very quickly that most everyone is extremely friendly though. They could care less if you mess up an order or mispronounce terima kasih (thank you) in Malay. They are more happy that you even tried.  



  I'm quite amazed that we have survived the last 18 months. Todd's deployment, me trying to get things together back home for a monster move, and my mom getting sick and passing all before the move almost did me in. I knew things would settle down here in KL once we arrived. We all just needed to hang in there. 
 So, here we are in KL. We survived the flight and the jet lag and things that seemed to be only Chinese at times.


  The home here was ready with the basics so we were able to get a good nights sleep once we arrived. We received our basic supply shipment from home about 2 weeks after getting here. So we have some things like our pots and pans and bedding. That has been really nice to have. It makes the house feel a little more like home. We should be getting our main household shipment in 2 weeks or so. Then I can get the house settled and make it our own. I guess I'll figure out all the stuff I should have left in storage as well. I have a feeling I'll be opening boxes and scratching my head as to why on earth I decided to bring this or that. It's bound to happen. Especially since it's our first move.
 The boys love the house. They have their own rooms and this nifty little pool on the Lanai. The first week we were here Gabe was consistently in the pool by 7am most mornings. It was pretty funny. We weren't sure if they would really like the pool and it's size, but it turns out they like it just fine. Todd decided to purchase a basketball hoop recently and now we have a hoop suctioned to the glass. The hoop has been a huge hit.
(The boys the first time in the pool)

We also have a long lap type pool on the main floor of the Condo. It's nice because I have been able to get some exercise in the form of swimming. We also have a small gym with treadmills and elliptical machines and weights. It's nice to be able to switch it up with those as well.

 Gabe also started school this week. Summer was cut short for him this year. His school seems very nice though and we are looking forward to a good year. There are lot's of 8th grade boys from the Embassy here in our building so he has been able to meet some kids and make some friends. It's a lot easier to get ready in the morning too. Uniforms all day everyday for him. No more fighting about that old worn out soccer jersey. It makes life a lot easier.  I managed to get him up to the top deck of our Condo for a few pics at sunset the night before school started.
 

(Ok, I'll smile fake once for you Mom)











  (Dab)

 (The classic look away that wasn't planned) ;)

I'll close out with letting everyone know that we live in a safe area. We have 24 hour guards on duty at our Condo. They are very nice and make it a point to know you and the family. We can walk easily and safely to the local grocer and pharmacy.  We are also about a mile from some of the biggest  and nicest malls in the area. I can tell you for sure that Malaysians take their shopping seriously. I think we have 4 or 5 large malls (within 10 minutes) with 6-8 levels in each mall! It's absolutely unreal the amount of retail that is available here. One of the biggest and nicest malls are at the base of the Petronas Towers here in KL. It's about a mile from our home and is gorgeous day and night.
                                          

Ok, So that will do it for the first installment. I am going to attempt to keep up with posts on a weekly basis. That way we'll be able to keep everyone up to date. It's hard to remember who we talk to and when. Have a great week and the next post will cover the Batu caves and KL bird park!
 - Michelle and the Fam.

No comments:

Post a Comment